Thursday, May 10, 2018

Forget the Birthday Cake–MFT Tips & Tricks for May

tipsandtricks_2018may10

Hello and welcome to another MFT Release Tips & Tricks post. Today I’m going to show you how I made the lime slice for my Margarita glass—because every Margarita needs a lime slice, amirite?


MFT_TipsTricks_Blog

First, how I created the card itself. I’m using the new Margarita Shaker Window & Frame Die-namics and Margarita Shaker Pouches for this. I wanted it on the surface of the card so I could add the lime slice easily--not inserted into the top layer—did that make sense? To do that I had to have a back so I simply traced around a pouch on some Sweet Tooth card stock and cut it out. Voila’! Perfectly sized! I filled it with 4mm & 6mm Lemon Meringue sequins, 4mm & 6mm Lime Sorbet sequins, and the new Frosty Ice Cubes, closed up the back and it was done—except or the salt! I remedied that by adding some Diamond Dust to the edge of the glass. The class was cut from Cool As a Cucumber card stock and the stem from Stone gray, then I added shading with Copic markers.

tipsandtricks_2018may10b

For the background I stamped Happy Birthday Background with Cement Gray hybrid ink on Ranger Watercolor Paper, did a watercolor wash on top of that, and splattered some watered down Delicata gold ink refill. I popped the glass up on foam tape for dimension with the lime slice in place, then heat embossed the sentiment with gold detail embossing powder. I popped that up too and finished off with some Gold Sprinkles.

Here’s a close up of the lime slice:

tipsandtricks_2018may10c

To create it, I cut Sweet Tooth card stock and Cool As a Cucumber card stock with Circle STAX—Sweet Tooth from the larger die.

tipsandtricks_2018may10d


To color the “rind”, first I went around the edge of the white circle with Copic YG03, using the side of the marker brush and extended a bit towards the center.

tipsandtricks_2018may10e


Next I added YG17 the same way but keeping it more to the edge so some YG03 still shows.

tipsandtricks_2018may10f


Cool As a Cucumber is a really nice very pale green but I needed it a bit more yellow so I simply colored it with Y11 and was quite happy with the result.

tipsandtricks_2018may10g


Next I marked my circle with a pencil to divide it into 8ths. A grid helps a lot to get this even but if you don’t have a grid do the best you can, it’ll be fine.

tipsandtricks_2018may10h


Next I wanted to add some highlights and texture to the actual lime so I added lots of squiggles with a Sakura White Gelly Roll Pen. 

tipsandtricks_2018may10i


Then I cut it out on the pencil lines and erased any marks that still showed. I snipped off all three “corners” of each piece to give it a more natural look. Sorry about the glare on this photo but I mainly wanted you to see how I snipped the corners.

tipsandtricks_2018may10j


The only thing left to do was to assemble my lime slice. I used Ranger Multi Media Matte and adhered each section. By moving the sections out to the edge just a bit, I was able to leave a little white showing between each section, in the center, and on the “rind”. Just play with it before adhering to get the feel for where they need to go.

tipsandtricks_2018may10k

And that’s it! Your Margarita now has a lime slice! I hope you give this a try for your Margarita Shaker Window and Frame Die-namics creation. Thanks so much for stopping by! See you soon!


1newsupplies_thumb[1]

All products from My Favorite Things unless otherwise noted.

Stamps: Spirited Sentiments, Happy Birthday Background
Die-namics: Margarita Shaker Window & Frame, Essential Fishtail Sentiment Strips, Circle STAX Set 1, Circle STAX Set 2
Hybrid Ink: Cement Gray
Specialty Inks: Versamark, Delicata Gold refill
MFT Card Stock: Sweet Tooth, Cement Gray, Cool as a Cucumber, Stone Gray
Specialty Papers: Ranger Watercolor Paper
Supplies: foam mounting tape, E-Z Runner, Peerless Watercolors, gold detail embossing powder, Multi Medium Matte Glue, Margarita Shaker Pouches, Gold Glitter Sprinkles, 4mm & 6mm Lemon Meringue sequins, 4mm & 6mm Lime Sorbet sequins, Frosty Ice Cubes, Diamond Dust
Tools: Smart Grid Paper Pad, Mini MISTI, Mini MISTI Grid Paper Pad, MISTI Bar Magnets, Square Bone Folder, Scor-Buddy, QuickStik Pick-up Tool, Precision Tip Glue Applicator Bottle, Embossing Magic, Sakura White Gelly Roll Pen, Mini Mister, water brush, craft tweezers, plastic eraser, Copics
Other: Die-cutting machine, paper cutter, heat tool


1newsignature_thumb[1]

4 comments:

  1. That was a great tip! Love it & plan to CASE when my goodies arrive. Tfs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great tip! Love it & plan to CASE when my goodies arrive. Tfs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cute card. I love the lime slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your tips on this Barbara! I have a pal who is constantly imbibing in margs and salsa and carriers! Her husband is a pilot! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!