Monday, January 26, 2015

MFT Design Team Creative Challenge–Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve + a Video

CClovebanner_2015jan20


Card makers are a pretty sentimental bunch overall and that is a great thing. We spend our time showing family and friends (and sometimes strangers!) that we care deeply for them. This month, we’ve challenged our team to embrace this season of love full-force by creating projects that feature love in the most literally way: with lots of hearts. Any color, any material – hearts will stand strong as a dominant design element that simply can’t be missed.

Print

What good timing this challenge was for me! I had wanted to make a Valentine banner for my living room but I didn’t know where the time was going to come from—enter this month’s Creative Challenge! I’m not wearing my heart on my sleeve, but on my shelf!

I have a video to share with you showing how I constructed the banner from start to finish. You can view it HERE at my YouTube channel or click on the button below.




And, I’m going to run through the steps here in the post, including some photos. Here is a finished pennant.

CCpennant_2015jan20

I started it by cutting three sizes from Jumbo Fishtail Banner STAX Die-namics for the base of each pennant. The bottom was cut from corrugated paper, the second is Pink Lemonade card stock, and the top layer is Primitive White card stock, stamped with Damask Background and Pink Lemonade dye ink, all adhered together with tape runner. Next layer is a Heart Doily Die-namics, then a Leaf-filled Flourish Die-namics cut from Gumdrop Green card stock and next up is a rosette. The “headers” were made using Layered Heart Border Die-namics and Kraft card stock and Pink Lemonade card stock, popped up on a strip of foam tape. I constructed the rosettes from Primitive White card stock, half of them stamped with Sheet Music Background

CCdamaskmusic_2015jan20

…and the other half with Romantic Script Background, both using Kraft dye ink. The rosette strips were cut 6”  x 1  1/4” and scored at 1/4” intervals with a scoring tool. They were assembled by being secured with a Circle STAX Set 1 Die-namics die cut from Kraft card stock on the back and a Stitched Circle STAX Die-namics on the front, cut from Pink Lemonade card stock.

CCscriptroses_2015jan20

The next layer is more corrugated paper cut with Heart STAX Die-namics, ending with High-Rise Alphabet Uppercase Die-namics cut from pink glitter paper. I finished off with Mini Royal Roses Die-namics and Royal Leaves Die-namics embellishments, cut from Pink Lemonade card stock and Gumdrop Green card stock, respectively.

Spacers between the pennants were made from more corrugated paper cut with Heart STAX Die-namics, a layer of pink glitter paper cut with Pierced Heart STAX Die-namics, and a Gumdrop Green button tied with hemp cord.

CCspacer_2015jan20

The pennants and spacers were connected together using heavy jute cord and hot glue.

Here is the banner hanging from a shelf in my living room…

CCwall_2015jan20


…and here is a closer look.

CCwallclose_2015jan20


And there you have it! I love banners—they are fun to make and you can go from the simple to the sublime in design. I hope I’ve inspired you to try a banner of your own! Thanks so much for stopping by today! See you soon!



1CAS Supplies2




~Supplies~
Stamps:
Damask Background, Romantic Script Background, Sheet Music Background (MFT)
Ink:
Pink Lemonade dye ink, Kraft dye ink (MFT)
Paper:
Pink Lemonade card stock, Primitive White card stock, Kraft card stock, Gumdrop Green card stock (MFT); corrugated paper, pink glitter paper
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Jumbo Fishtail Banner STAX Die-namics, Heart Doily Die-namics, Layered Heart Border Die-namics, Leaf-filled Flourish Die-namics, Circle STAX Set 1 Die-namics, Pierced Circle STAX Die-namics, Heart STAX Die-namics, High-Rise Alphabet Uppercase Die-namics, Pierced Heart STAX Die-namics, Mini Royal Roses Die-namics, Royal Leaves Die-namics, Gumdrop Green button, hemp cord, 1/8” ScorTape (MFT); hot glue, gun, foam tape, heavy jute cord, scoring tool


1CAS Signature2

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful project Barb. Love the shabby look. The brown and pink look wonderful together... sweet and just perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing your banners, this one is so sweet! I also enjoyed seeing your little collection of pretty depressionware. Two treats for the price of one today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!