Monday, September 16, 2013

Plaid Builder Background Photo Tutorial

plaidgrateful_2013sep19


Hi, everyone! Today I have a little photo tutorial for you on using MFT’s Plaid Builder Background stamps. I LOVE this set—the possibilities are limited only to your imagination and the colors of ink you have on hand, so I encourage you to just experiment and have fun!

First I’m showing you what I used to make the plaid paper for this card. Inks of choice, and in my case I’m using Tangy Orange ink, Grape Jelly ink, Kraft ink, and Factory Green ink. You’ll need the set and a stamping block, of course, paper—I’m using Primitive White card stock. I find it invaluable to stamp on a grid sheet when making plaid (or most any) backgrounds.


plaidgrateful_2013sep19tute1


I always tape my card stock down to my grid sheet with repositionable tape.

plaidgrateful_2013sep19tute2


Step 1: I usually choose the lightest color value in my chosen palette and use the largest, most detailed stamp. A gridded stamping block is helpful, too, but if you don’t have one of those, lining the image up with your grid paper works. Stamp as many times as you can going in one direction. It doesn’t matter which direction you choose to start with, IMO. When you get close to the repositionable tape, gently remove it and move it down to an already stamped area.


plaidgrateful_2013sep19tute3


Step 2: Turn your paper 90 degrees and reapply the repositionable tape. Chose your next color and another image and stamp as before. Remember that you’re going to want to leave some pretty good sized areas of “white space” for the following steps, so don’t fill up your paper with this step.

plaidgrateful_2013sep19tute4


Step 3: Continue with your paper in the same position and choose your third color and another image. I typically choose the wider of the single lines for this step. Remember to leave some “white space” and to move your repositionable tape ;-)

plaidgrateful_2013sep19tute5


Step 4: For this stop I usually choose one of the narrower images and use my darkest or most vivid colors. Flip your paper back to the original position and retape. Stamp this color, again, leaving some blank areas for balance.

plaidgrateful_2013sep19tute6


And there you have it! Original patterned paper, totally designed by you! You can now use it like you would any other patterned paper in your card design.

To finish my card off, I made cut some leaves with Die-namics LJD Fall Foliage and stamped them with the matching images from LJD Fall Foliage. I stamped the sentiment on a Die-namics Layered Treat Tag die cut and stamped this sentiment, again from LJD Fall Foliage, on the inside.


plaidgrateful_2013sep19in


Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you find this tutorial of value and that you’ll be making your own plaid paper soon!









~Supplies~
Stamps:
Plaid Builder Background, LJD Fall Foliage (MFT)
Paper:
Primitive Cream card stock, Kraft card stock (MFT)
Ink:
Tangy Orange ink, Factory Green ink, Kraft ink, Grape Jelly ink (MFT); Soft Suede, Cajun Craze, Old Olive (SU!)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics LJD Fall Foliage, Die-namics Layered Treat Tag, hemp cord (MFT); foam tape


brownwendysignature

3 comments:

  1. Such a great Autumn card, and I love how you did your background. Nicely done! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok. amazing. totally amazing what you've done with the plaid background! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!