Tuesday, August 20, 2013

MFT August DT Creative Challenge–Felt

creativechallenge _2013aug20

The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, creations that incorporate MFT felt!  Look forward to an assortment of creations from today's participating designers as we explore the many uses of MFT felt.  Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all the designers who have a project to share with you today.


Hi, there! When we first got this my mind went crazy with ideas! I had to pare my list down dramatically when I went to actually work on it. I ended up making two necklaces—one a bib style and one a pendant, a simple little Valentine banner, and a Christmas pin. So much fun!

Let’s start with the bib necklace. I decided what colors I wanted to use then started cutting out elements. I used Die-namics Royal Rose (Razzleberry felt), Die-namics Mini Royal Roses (Sweet Tooth felt), Die-namics Rolled Mum (Lemon Drop felt), Die-namics Rolled Daisy (Sweet Tooth felt), Die-namics Retro Rolled Flower, Die-namics Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose (Razzleberry felt), Die-namics Pretty Posies (Bubblegum felt), and Die-namics Layered Rose (Bubblegum felt). To finish off my bib, I added some Die-namics Royal Leaves made with Sour Apple felt and Jellybean Green felt.

creativechallengebib_2013aug20

After I had all my flowers constructed, I laid them out on a sheet of
Sour Apple felt in an arrangement I liked and adhered them with hot glue. Then I added my leaves and carefully trimmed the backing around the bib with scissors, leaving about 1/4” margin around the actually hot-glued area. I braided some cord for the “chain” because one strand seemed a little too small in scale for the bib. I hot glued that to the back and then traced around the bib for another backing that hid the cord ends. 
*****

My second project uses Die-namics Layered Heart for a banner. I cut eight of the hearts with holes from Sweet Tooth felt and whip stitched them together with baker’s twine. I left a little opening so I could stuff them with cotton balls, then finished the stitching. Pillow stuffing would totally work; I used cotton balls so I could keep them all the same size, plus kept the filler quantity down; overfilling could cause the stitches to rip since felt is not like fabric. I tied them together with Wild Cherry buttons and applied Wild Cherry felt letters cut with Die-namics By the Letters dies. I love this simple little puffy heart banner!

creativechallengelove_2013aug20
*****

Next up, a pendant necklace. I cut the petals from Die-namics LJD Poppies and Leaves and Wild Cherry felt and constructed them exactly like you do the paper version. For the center I used a Black Licorice button with a Jellybean Green button tied with black twine and hot glued into place. I attached some Die-namics Royal Leaves cut from Jellybean Green felt and added a black cord “chain”.

creativechallengepoppy_2013aug20
*****

And, finally, I made a pin using Die-namics Poinsettia. Again, from Wild Cherry felt, I cut the poinsettia layers and adhered them with hot glue. To give it some body, I cut two of each size and applied Heat & Bond to one, then ironed them together. Then I traced the outline on some chipboard, cut it out a little smaller than the flower, and adhered it to the back before gluing on a pin back. The center was made from Lemon Drop felt and the leaves were made from Jellybean Green felt. To finish it off, I added some Copic colored gems to the center.

creativechallengeponsettia_2013aug20 


And that’s it from me! Thanks so much for stopping by today! We hope you’ll get out your MFT felt and give it a try; I still want to make gift boxes and pinecones to name a couple more!






~Supplies~
Stamps: None
Paper: None
Ink: None
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Die-namics Royal Rose, Die-namics Mini Royal Roses, Die-namics Rolled Mum, Die-namics Rolled Daisy, Die-namics Retro Rolled Flower, Die-namics Pretty Posies, Die-namics Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose, Die-namics Layered Rose, Die-namics LJD Poppies and Leaves, Die-namics Poinsettia, Die-namics Royal Leaves, Die-namics Layered Heart, Die-namics By the Letters, Sour Apple felt, Jellybean Green felt, Bubblegum felt, Lemon Drop felt, Sweet Tooth felt, Wild Cherry felt, Razzleberry felt, Black Licorice button, Jellybean Green button, Wild Cherry button (MFT); hot glue/gun, Copic marker, clear gems, cord, enamel dots, baker’s twine, cotton balls, pin back


brownwendysignature

12 comments:

  1. Awesome job using the felt Barbara!! Love all the different way you used the felt, very creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty necklace full beautiful blooms Barbara! The heart banner is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas Barbara! Especially love the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous projects Barbara, love how you've made those cute necklaces with felt...cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesomeness!!! Barbara, this is sooooo amazing. beauitful felt flowers and beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply FABULOUS Bar! I am in AWE of all of these! I totally want that bib necklace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great projects, Bar! LOVE them all, but my favorite is the poinsettia pin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, girl, these are all fabulous! The bib necklace is so fresh and pretty...love the braided cord too! The red/white twine stitching really makes the sweet love banner extra special. I think the poppy necklace is my fave...so striking! I love the idea of using Heat & Bond for the felt layers on that gorgeous pin. I need to get some of that! Have a FABULOUS week, my friend! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzers, felt crazy! These are fabulous Bar! How fun I bet they were to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, Barbara! These are all amazing! I love the idea of the necklaces! They're SO pretty! Love the banner too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...