Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thank You: A Sailor's Knot Tutorial

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!!!

I've had a couple of requests for a tutorial on the sailor's knot that I used on this card so I put one together while making this card. It's really quite easy, as you'll see!

First, a bit about this card. The base is River Rock and the patterned paper is more from K & Co's Sea Glass Mat Stack. I do love this paper. For the image, I inked up this stamp from Flourishes' Seaside Life set with Versamark, then River Rock, stamped it on Baja Breeze card stock, and then heat embossed with clear detail embossing powder. Finally, I cut it out and popped it up on top of my sailor's knot. The sentiment was stamped with Bayou Blue, then I added some paper piercing and a few flat backed pearls.

Now, on to the tutorial. I'm using double lengths of yarn for my knot, but you don't have to. I prefer a wider knot so that's why I use double lengths of yarn.

Here's what I use because I want the look of cotton rope. You can use any of a number of types of fiber, but this is what I prefer. I got this at Wal*Mart.



1. Cut your yarn lengths. You'll want your length to be about 3 times the length of your finished knot and tails. This length just makes it easier to work with. When it's finished, I'll wrap my knot and tails around this piece of patterned paper to add to the card.



Notice I notched the sides of the paper to cut down on bulk around the edges. You don't have to do this but it makes for a smoother layer, IMO.



2. Take one piece of yarn and arrange it like this:



3. Take your second piece and arrange it on top of the first in this manner:



4. Now, bring the second piece down like this (note: your first piece will pretty much stay in the same position until you're finished):



5. And over and under like this:



6. And over and under again like this (you can now see the knot has taken it's final shape):



7. Grasp all four tails (the two on the left with your left hand and the two on the right with your right hand) and gently tighten the knot by pulling the tails. Try to pull all of the tails with equal tension to keep the knot even. It won't be perfect at first. You'll end up with something like this:



8. Then you'll just need to work with it, pull first one tail and then another to get it even and to lie flat. To accomplish this, pinch the knot between your left thumb and index finger and pull the right tails to snug them down. Then switch hands to snug down the left tails. If you're using double lengths of yarn as I am, you'll probably also need to untwist one or more pieces of yarn to make sure you have a smooth, flat knot.


Your knot is done! Here's how I attach it to paper to add to a card.

First, I use a little tape runner to give me something to just tack down the tails. I'll add a dab on the front (preferably where another element will cover it up) and then on the back and stick the tails down.


Here's the front--I pull each end a little before I stick them down. Not too much or you'll arch you paper--just enough to keep the strands of yarn smooth and flat. You can stick the knot down with a little glue dot if you want, also; I usually do.



Then I trim and tape down the tails on the back and it's ready to add to my card. Since the yarn adds some bulk in the center, I'll pop it up on Pop Dots.


The finished card again. I hope this tutorial helps. If you have any other questions, just shoot me an email!


Thanks for stopping by today. There's still time to get in on the blog candy here. I'll choose the winner late tonight and post it right after midnight. Good luck!

~Supplies~
Stamps: Seaside Life (Flourishes)
Paper: River Rock (SU!); Sea Glass Mat Stack (K & Co.)
Ink: Versamark, River Rock, Bayou Blue (SU!)
Accessories: Pop Dots, flat back pearls (craft store); Fine Detail clear embossing powder (Judykins); heat gun; scalloped border punch (SU!); cotton yarn; paper piercer (Ornare); mat/template (SU!)

47 comments:

  1. OHHHH, thanks so much for the tutorial! I've always wanted to try making one of these but had no idea where to even start. Awesome, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day Barbara! This is an excellent tutorial and the knot is perfect for this card. LOVE it! Smiles, Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin this Bar, thanks for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara - I use this knot a lot! Thanks so much for the tutorial - excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this---how cool! I could REALLY impress my DH the sailor with this knot! Thanks for the tutorial!!
    Love your new photo, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial! That knot looks so cool!

    I live in Florida so I'm loving the coastal look of your card with the seashell and soft colors. Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial. I'm so glad I asked for it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this, and the knot really kicks it up! Thanks for the tutorial...I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial Bar. I was wondering how you did that knot. Have a great Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Moly!! I love this knot!! Thank you for the step by step tutorial....it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous card and thank you soooo much for the fun tutorial! That knot is way cool and it looks like I could actually do that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous -- thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful card, colors and that cool knot again! Thanks for the tutorial you made it easy to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahoy me hearty what a great tutorial..i really loved this and am going to incorporate the idea into one of my mini albums..thank you for sharing this..well presented too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really a great card. Love the Sailor's Knot and the tutorial (I've bookmarked it for future ref)
    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tutorial is wonderful and I love your card - Barbara!!! What a beauty...the knot is the perfect touch!!! Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card and fantastic tutorial, Barbara! Can't wait to try this!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a stunning card and a superb tutorial, I shall definitely be having a go with this technique.
    Thank you SO much!
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!! This knot is so lovely...and I have a few favourite sets that are 'beachy'.
    I think this will be a lovely accent! Sure appreciate you taking the time to posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for showing how this knot is tieded - love it on your card and will try to keep it in my mind - great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, Barbara, this card is gorgeous!!! It just strikes me, for some reson. Thanks SO much for the tut on the knot tying. I love the look of it, so knot-ical...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so bookmarked!!! Thank you so much for letting me know that you put on a different link..... You are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you SO very much for that tutorial!! I have a friend that this card would be so perfect for....she's lives near the ocean and LOVES the beach! Thanks so much for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just mentioned to a friend this morning that I wished I knew how to tie a sailor's knot and now I do thanks to this amazing tutorial!!! I've even searched Boy Scout websites for knots but they weren't as clear as this one. This will be perfect for a card I'm working on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic tutorial. Thanks heaps for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just realized it! Thanks for this great tutorial. Love your card!
    LouLou

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for a fab. tutorial. Would love to know also how you achieved the 'border' using the 'window' punch.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very beautiful creation.

    You use Copic frequently. Do you know the recipe to make SAND ?

    Excuse my english because I come from Quebec and I speak just a little bit.

    À +

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am going to have to try this for my dad! Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm making a baby boy card decorated with a boat - this will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanx so much for the knot tutorial - it's nice and I'll be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is the perfect touch for your card...and thank you for sharing the directions...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love learning new things. This is great! Thank you so much for taking the time to create this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just got this link to for this tutorial. Love it! I can't wait to try it out. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this knot, I made a card and uploaded to Splitcoaststampers as well as my blog with links on both to your blog. Thanks so much for the great tutorial and idea! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oooh just saw this tutorial with Holly's link from the card she made and wow Barabara, thank you so much for the cool and easy tutorial. I will definetely try this. Cool! Kindly, Peggyxo

    ReplyDelete
  37. I tried it Barbara. Thank you and here is the link to my card.

    http://thenuttycardmaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for this wonderful tutorial. I bookmarked it when I found it and have been wanting to try it. I finally got a chance to try it out and I love it! Uploaded to SCS and linked back to your blog.
    http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1785518
    Thanks again
    -mnfroggie (Trina)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank You for this tutorial on the Sailor's Knot, I used it today on my card that I posted at SCS...

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is an outstanding tutorial and I can't thank you enough! Having just passed Father's Day, and my father was a Navy man during WWII, I've been thinking about him and his knots a lot. Especially since this knot has shown up on cards again this year lately. I google searched for sailor knot on stampin up, and here you are. BEAUTIFUL card, too! Have a blessed day, Celia

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, Barbara, this is a fantastic tutorial - thank you! I wouldn't have thought myself capable of creating such a beautiful knot, but your tutorial has given me the confidence to try it. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for taking the time to create this fabulous tutorial Barbara. Your directions are clear & easy to understand, & it works like a charm! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gorgeous card and a great tutorial. I think I will be using a sailer's knot on one of my cards real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you so much for the tutorial and adorable card. I can't wait to try this and use it on some masculine/ship cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Awesome tutorial. Thanks bunches

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...